Cheddar cheese scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper , or 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cold butter , cut into cubes
- 1 cup grated old cheddar
- 1 cup cold milk
- Place rack above centre of oven. Preheat oven to 450F (230C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Using a fork, stir flour with baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Work in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cheese.
- Make a well in centre. Pour in milk and stir just until moistened. Turn out onto a floured cutting board. Divide in half and pat each portion into a 6 inch (15 cm) circle about 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick.
- Cut each into 6 wedges. Lift wedges onto greased baking sheet, placing about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart for crusty-sided scones or 1/2 inch (1 cm) apart for soft-sided scones. Bake above oven centre until golden, from 10 to 12 minutes.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5.2 g,
- 17.4 g,
- 7.5 g,
- 0.7 g,
- 316 mg.