Chatelaine classic stuffing
12 - to 16-lb (6- to 8-kg) turkey, 12 cups (3 L) cooked
- 675-g loaf sliced white bread
- 3 large onions
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 large celery stalk , including leaves
- 4 tsp poultry seasoning , or 2 1/2 tsp ground sage and 1 1/2 tsp ground savory
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 398-mL can water chestnuts , drained (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Remove crusts from bread, if you wish. Slice bread into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pieces. You should have 12 to 14 cups (3 to 3.5 L). Spread out on 2 shallow-rimmed baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven, stirring occasionally and rotating sheets halfway through, until bread is lightly toasted, 10 minutes. Place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, finely chop onions. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onions. Finely chop celery and stir in as soon as chopped. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir often until onions are softened, 5 more minutes. Meanwhile, coarsely chop drained water chestnuts. Then stir onion mixture and water chestnuts into bread mixture. Mix well. Taste. Add more seasoning, if needed. Let cool completely before stuffing turkey. Or, if making ahead, cover loosely and refrigerate up to 2 days. Stuff turkey just before roasting.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2.5 g,
- 15.2 g,
- 4.9 g,
- 1 g,
- 331 mg.