Serving Tip: Pair with our Chestnut and sausage stuffing for mouth-watering results. Get the recipe here.
Honey and herb turkeyBy Chatelaine
Honey, sage and sherry come together in this sweet and fragrant holiday favourite. Serve with our chestnut and sausage stuffing for mouth-watering results.
- 6 kg turkey
- 1/2 cup butter , at room temperature
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 6 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/4 tsp salt , divided
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups no-salt chicken broth
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- POSITION oven rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 325F. Place a rack in a roasting pan.
- WASH and dry turkey well. Reserve neck bone. Discard giblets. Stir butter with sage, garlic and 1 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Rub butter mixture under and over skin of turkey. Transfer turkey to rack in pan. Bend wings and tuck under the bird. Pour sherry into pan along with water and reserved neck bone. Cover tightly with foil.
- ROAST in bottom third of oven for 2 hours. Remove foil and brush turkey with honey. Continue roasting, uncov- ered, until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 175F, about 1 more hour, for a total cook time of about 15 min per 500 g. (If turkey is browning too much during last hour of cooking, cover with foil.) Transfer turkey to a cutting board. Tent loosely with foil and let rest at least 25 min before carving.
- SKIM off any fat floating on pan juices. Place pan over 2 burners or pour juices into a medium saucepan. Boil over medium. Stir broth with cornstarch, Worcestershire sauce and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Whisk into pan until gravy thickens, about 5 min.
How to carve turkey
Nutrition (per serving)
- 71 g,
- 12 g,
- 31 g,
- 567 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B6