Braised oxtail raguBy Chatelaine
Yes it's the tail, and is it ever delicious. Intensely rich and tasty, it makes a brilliant stew that freezes well too.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1.5 kg oxtail , cut into 2-in. portions
- 1 red onion , diced
- 2 carrots , diced, about 1 cup
- 2 celery stalks , diced, about 1 cup
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup port
- 2 cups no-salt beef broth
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Heat an oven-safe pot over medium-high. Add oil, then half of oxtail. Turn meat until brown on all sides, 3 to 5 min. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oxtail.
- REDUCE heat to medium. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic and salt to pan. Season with fresh pepper. Cook until onion starts to soften, 3 min. Return oxtail and any juices to pan. Add port and simmer, 3 min. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in any brown bits from pan bottom. Add broth and rosemary. Cover with lid. Transfer pot to oven.
- BAKE in centre of oven until meat falls away from the bone, about 4 hours. Transfer oxtail to a plate and let cool slightly, 10 min. Remove meat from bones into a bowl. Discard bones.
- SKIM any fat from sauce, if needed. Discard rosemary sprig. Stir in oxtail meat and horseradish. Serve over mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with chives.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 45 g,
- 21 g,
- 22 g,
- 3 g,
- 926 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A