Lobster and bubbly are pure luxury — but they’re not as expensive as you may think. And adding inexpensive sparkling wine works beautifully.
Lobster for two
This article has not been rated yet.
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 lobsters , about 750 g each
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 1/2 cups champagne or sparkling wine
- 1/2 tsp Maldon or coarse salt
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- To partially cook lobster, bring a very large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Stir in sea salt. Add lobsters. As soon as water returns to a boil, set timer for 10 min. Fill a sink with cold water. When lobsters have cooked 10 min, remove from pot and immediately plunge into cold water.
- Remove cooled lobster from water. (If making ahead, you can refrigerate cooled lobster up to a day before finishing cooking.) Pat dry with paper towels. While holding lobster over a bowl to catch juices, remove head and discard. Be careful not to let the green tomalley (the bitter liver) into juices, but don’t worry if you can’t remove it all. Using kitchen shears, cut through tail and carefully remove meat, catching juices in bowl. Crack open claws and pincers. Slice tail into 1-in. (2.5-cm) rounds. Leave claws whole.
- Melt 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter in your widest frying pan. When bubbly, add shallots. Sauté over medium-low heat until soft, 5 to 7 min. Meanwhile, remove tarragon leaves from stems, then coarsely chop. Once shallots are soft, pour in champagne. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup (50 mL) tarragon and Maldon salt. Strain lobster juices and add. Boil gently over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 5 min.
- Meanwhile, cut cold butter into small pieces. When liquid is reduced, turn heat to low. Place lobster slices cut side down in sauce. Add claws. Sprinkle with remaining tarragon. Simmer over low heat until lobster is warm, no more than 1 to 2 min per side. Watch constantly – you don’t want to toughen lobster. Remove lobster to shallow bowls. Vigorously whisk cold butter into sauce, then spoon over lobster.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 38 g,
- 11 g,
- 30 g,
- 1 g,