Black Bean Soup With Lime PopcornBy Chatelaine
Tajín seasoning can be found in the Latin American section of most grocery stores. You can also substitute a pinch each of salt and cayenne pepper.
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion , diced
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper , seeded and minced (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups drained, cooked black beans , (or 2 540-mL cans black beans, drained and rinsed)
- 5 cups bean liquid (from cooking dried beans) or vegetable broth , divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 freshly popped Popcorn
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp Tajín seasoning
- Heat a medium pot over medium. Add oil, then onion and serrano. Cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, 3 to 4 min. Add garlic, cumin, fennel seeds, oregano and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are light golden, 2 to 3 min.
- Add beans, 4 cups bean liquid and bay leaves. Increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until beans are tender and skins start to split, 12 to 15 min.
- Discard bay leaves, then transfer bean mixture to a blender. Blend until smooth, adding remaining 1 cup bean liquid, if needed, for a thinner consistency. Divide soup among bowls.
- Lime popcorn: Toss popcorn with lime juice and Tajín. Sprinkle over soup.
- Soup will continue to thicken as it sits. Add a splash of bean liquid or vegetable broth to thin it out.
- If your blender doesn’t have a locking lid, remove the lid’s venting piece and place a kitchen towel overtop to allow steam to escape while blending.
- For more on how to cook dried beans, check out our guide here.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 13 g,
- 42 g,
- 7 g,
- 12 g,
- 1 mg.