Everyday stew gets a bistro-style makeover with balsamic vinegar and sun-dried tomatoes. Serve over mashed potatoes to soak up all that wonderful sauce.
Bistro beef with sun-dried tomatoes
6 cups (1.5 L)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 kg stewing beef cubes
- vegetable oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 red or green bell peppers
- 1 pint grape tomatoes , or 3 plum tomatoes
- 12 black olives , preferably kalamata
- 10 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes , halved
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 284-mL can undiluted beef broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl, stir flour with salt and pepper. Add beef. Toss to coat. Lightly oil a large wide saucepan. Set over medium-high heat. Add half of beef. Stir occasionally until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl. Repeat with remaining beef, adding oil as needed. Reduce heat to medium if browning too quickly.
- Meanwhile, cut onions in half. Place cut side down on a cutting board. Thickly slice. Core and seed peppers. Slice into thick strips. If using plum tomatoes, coarsely chop. Pit olives. Cut in half. When all beef is removed from pan, reduce heat to medium. Add onions and more oil, if needed. Stir frequently until onions start to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, drain oil from sun-dried tomatoes. Pat dry with paper towels, then slice into thick strips. Stir sun-dried tomatoes, peppers and whole grape tomatoes or chopped plum tomatoes into onions. Sprinkle with paprika, oregano and garlic powder. Stir in broth, vinegar and olives. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in brown bits from pan bottom. Return beef and juices to pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Great with mashed potatoes and green beans. Mixture will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months. To serve, defrost and reheat in a microwave. Or place in a saucepan with a little water and stir often over medium-low heat until hot.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 37.1 g,
- 17.1 g,
- 14.8 g,
- 3.1 g,
- 959 mg.