Bacon and onion grilled cheese with tomato saladBy Chatelaine
Indulge in a little comfort food tonight with this classic grilled cheese sandwich (with a twist).
- 2 slices of bacon , finely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion , thinly sliced
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 8 slices bread
- 1 1/4 cups chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup grated white cheddar
- 1 tbsp butter , at room temperature
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 397-g pkg Campari tomatoes , cut into wedges
- HEAT a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add bacon. Cook for 2 min, then add sweet onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is brown and soft, 8 to 10 min. Stir in honey and oyster sauce. Cook for 12 min, then remove from heat.
- SPREAD onion mixture over 4 slices bread. Sprinkle 1 cup chopped cilantro, then white cheddar over onion. Sandwich with 4 more slices bread. Spread butter on the outside of each sandwich. Wipe pan clean, then return to stove top over medium. Cook sandwiches until bread is golden, 2 to 3 min per side. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally .
- WHISK rice vinegar with canola oil and granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro. Toss until coated. Serve alongside grilled cheese sandwiches.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 50 g,
- 19 g,
- 4 g,
- 625 mg.
- Excellent source of