Hearty GumboBy Chatelaine
Try out a creative, cajun-spiced spin on this classic stew.
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 red onion , chopped
- 1 227-g pkg cremini mushrooms , quartered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Cajun-Inspired Spice Blend , (see Kitchen tip for recipe)
- 1 796-mL can plum tomatoes
- 1 celery stalk , sliced
- 1 green bell pepper , diced
- 3 cups okra , (about 15 pods), cut in 1-in. pieces
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 540-mL can red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Heat a pot over medium. Add oil, and then onion and mushrooms. Cook until softened, about 5 min.
- Sprinkle flour and spice blend over vegetables. Cook,
stirring often, for 2 min. Add tomatoes and juices, breaking them into bitesized chunks with a wooden spoon. Stir in celery, pepper, okra and broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened and vegetables are almost tender, 17 to 20 min.
- Add beans and simmer until heated through, about 3 min. Stir in parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
Get the Cajun-Inspired Spice Blend recipe.