Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2019 issue.
Slow cooker bone brothBy Chatelaine
11 hrs 30 min
Sip this bone broth straight-up or use it as a base for soup.
- 1.5 kg mixed (beef) bones , such as knuckle, neck, back, shank, etc.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 carrots , coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks , coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion , coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley stems
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- PREHEAT oven to 475F. Place bones in a roasting pan. Drizzle with oil, then toss to coat. Roast, turning bones occasionally, until they smell like roast beef and are dark brown, 30 to 40 min.
- USING tongs, transfer bones, to a 4-quart slow cooker. Carefully drain and discard fat from roasting pan. Pour 1 cup water into roasting pan. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, then pour into the slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, then pour in enough water to cover bones.
- COVER and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.
- USING tongs, remove bones to a large bowl. Remove any meat from bones (for another use), then discard bones. Skim off any remaining fat. Strain broth through a fine-mesh sieve into Mason jars. Seal and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 1 g,
- 1 g,
- 149 mg.