Strawberry and lemon cream cheese cupcakes
Luscious yet simple lemon-curd folds in seamlessly to this whimsical strawberry and lemon cupcake.
- 250-g brick cream cheese , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup storebought or homemade lemon curd
- 1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 6 small strawberries , hulled and halved
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- Beat cream cheese in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, until fluffy. Gradually beat in lemon curd until smooth. Refrigerate frosting and strawberries until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cups. Stir flour with baking powder and salt. Beat butter with lemon zest in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually beat in sugar until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla. Gradually beat in a third of flour mixture, then half the milk. Repeat additions, ending with remaining third of flour mixture. Spoon into muffin cups, filling three-quarters full.
- Bake in centre of oven until a cake tester inserted in centre of cupcakes comes out clean, about 25 min. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- To assemble, insert a small paring knife 1 inch deep into a cupcake at a 45-degree angle, halfway between the centre and the outside edge. Cut out a small cone and save for another use. Repeat with remaining cupcakes. Stir 1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries into frosting. Fill and frost each cupcake with a palette knife or spoon, then top with a strawberry half.
How to make perfectly shaped cupcakes
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 34 g,
- 18 g,
- 1 g,
- 209 mg.