Here’s a chewy toasted-coconut classic from Tait’s Bakery. What a great way to use up glaceed fruit left from holiday baking.
* PLUS Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup glacé cherries , cut in half, or mixed glacé fruit
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly butter an 8-inch (2-L) square cake pan. To make base, stir 3 tablespoons (45 mL) butter with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) brown sugar in a medium-size bowl until creamy. Beat in 1 egg. In a small bowl, stir flour with baking powder and salt until well mixed. Stir into egg mixture, working in flour with your fingers. Using buttered fingers, press evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Mix 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter. Beat in 1 egg until smooth. Then stir in walnuts, coconut and cherries until well combined. Spread evenly over base. Bake in centre of preheated oven until a deep golden color, from 30 to 33 minutes. Store cooled squares in a sealed container in layers separated with waxed paper. Squares will keep well at room temperature for up to 2 days and can be frozen for 1 month or more.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2.9 g,
- 27.5 g,
- 10.7 g,
- 1 g,
- 75 mg.