Cheddar and chipotle shortbread crisps
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Refrigeration Time: 180 minutes, Baking Time: 8 minutes
chipotle in adobo sauce
1 to 2 tsp
MacLaren's Imperial cold pack
, cut into chunks
, cut into cubes
- In a medium-size bowl, using a fork, stir flour with salt and coriander. Place chipotle pepper, 1 tsp (5 mL) adobo sauce, cheese and butter in a food processor. Whirl until smooth, scraping down side as necessary. Taste and add remaining tsp (5 mL) adobo sauce, if you like it spicier. Add flour mixture. Pulse just until mixture comes together and starts to form a ball. Mixture will be wet.
- Lightly flour hands, then divide dough into 4 portions. Shape each portion into a log about 1 1/4 inches (3 cm) wide and 6 inches (15 cm) long. Wrap in wax paper, then twist ends to seal tightly. Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours or up to 1 week. Or place wrapped rolls in a sealed plastic bag and freeze up to 1 month.
- To bake, position oven rack on bottom shelf. Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Remove a log from refrigerator and slice into 1/4-inch- (0.5-cm-) thick rounds. Spread out on ungreased baking sheets about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart.
- Bake one sheet at a time on bottom rack of preheated oven until edges are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove crisps to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining logs. Once cooled, crisps will keep well, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, up to 2 weeks. Serve with guacamole, salsa and herbed sour cream.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 3 g,
- 3 g,
- 58 mg.