The classic tuna melt was a great tummy-pleaser when we were kids. Turns out, you’re never too grown up to enjoy its simple comfort. We added healthy veggies to boost nutrition and a light covering of grated cheese instead of piling on thick slices. You get the same gooey goodness but with fewer calories
Canned tuna has come a long way, baby! Dress it right with a few kitchen staples
* Southwestern Tex-Mex Mix tuna with a few spoonfuls of salsa, a squeeze of lime juice, pinches of ground cumin and a handful of canned black beans and corn niblets. Wrap in colourful tortillas and dip in sour cream.
* Bombay cups Mix tuna with a little mayonnaise and a spoonful of curry paste or pinches of curry powder. Then stir in chopped apple and raisins. Spoon into lettuce cups or over leaves of romaine.
* French baguette Spread a sliced baguette with a little Dijon, then top with a mixture of tuna stirred with mayonnaise, chopped olives, capers and pinches of black pepper. Top with chopped or sliced tomato or slices of hard-boiled eggs.
* Mediterranean pitas Stir tuna with a few spoonfuls of sun-dried tomato-and-oregano salad dressing or zesty Italian vinaigrette and thin slices of green onion. Spoon into whole wheat pitas and top with spinach or arugula leaves.
* Tuna caesar salad Stir tuna with spoonfuls of creamy caesar salad dressing, pinches of grated Parmesan and shredded romaine lettuce. Tear the centres out of crusty buns and fill with tuna mixture.
* Greek tuna Stir tuna with a few spoonfuls of tzatziki or Greek salad dressing and finely chopped cucumber, seeded tomatoes, black olives and green pepper. Spoon into pitas.