Mushroom Pulled “Pork” SandwichesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Craving a sandwich stacked with flavour and texture? Try this plant-based take on a classic pulled pork sandwich.
- 800 g king oyster mushrooms , ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/3 cup store-bought barbeque sauce
- 4 hamburger buns , split and toasted
- 3 tbsp plant-based mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 397-g pkg coleslaw mix
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 400F.
- Hold 1 mushroom. With your other hand, use a fork to shred it into long strips. Repeat with remaining mushrooms. Toss shredded mushrooms with oil, paprika and garlic salt in a medium bowl. Season with pepper.
- Divide mushrooms between 2 baking sheets in a single layer. (The more separation the mushrooms have, the crispier they will get.)
- Bake, stirring halfway, until mushrooms are crispy and golden around the tips, 25 to 30 min.
- Coleslaw: Meanwhile, stir mayo with vinegar in a medium bowl. Stir in coleslaw mix until well coated.
- Stir roasted mushrooms with barbecue sauce in a medium bowl until combined. Fill toasted buns with mushrooms and coleslaw.