This speedy number was proven a big hit with Chatelaine staff, both for its intense flavour and heat. It cries out for cold beer.
3 to 4 servings
* PLUS Roasting Time: 60 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 chicken halves , or 4 to 6 pieces bone-in chicken
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Stir oil with chili flakes, cayenne and salt. Coat with cooking spray or grease a 9×13-inch (3-L) baking dish or a large baking sheet with shallow sides. Place chicken skin-side up on pan. Pour chili mixture over chicken and rub over skin to evenly distribute. Then turn bone-side up.
- Roast, uncovered, in centre of 425F (220C) oven for 30 minutes. Turn chicken skin-side up and pour lemon juice over top. Continue roasting, basting with pan juices every 10 minutes, until chicken is golden and springy to the touch, from 25 to 30 more minutes. Lift chicken from juices. Skim off and discard fat from juices. Serve juices as a dipping sauce with chicken. Wonderful with stir-fried vegetables.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 41 g,
- 1.9 g,
- 23.9 g,
- 0.2 g,
- 410 mg.