Crispy duck with tangy rhubarb sauceBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Delight your taste buds with a recipe that makes spring’s first fruit the star of the show. That’s right, rhubarb’s sweet-tart kick extends way beyond pie!
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb , about 240 g
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 6 thin slices ginger
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 duck breasts , about 400g each
- 1/4 tsp salt
- BOIL rhubarb with sugar, fish sauce and ginger in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil until rhubarb is very soft and mixture is thick, about 10 min. Scrape into a food processor or blender. Purée until smooth. Whirl in lime juice.
- PREHEAT oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- LAY duck breasts, skin-side up, on cutting board. Using a sharp knife tip, cross-hatch skin and fat in a diamond pattern (shown below). Sprinkle with salt. Season with fresh pepper.
HEAT a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Place duck, skin-side down, in pan. Cook until skin is golden and crisp, draining fat occasionally into a small bowl, 8 to 10 min. Reduce heat if browning too quickly. Transfer duck, skin-side up, to prepared sheet. Roast in centre of oven until medium-rare, 8 to 10 min. Let stand 10 min before slicing.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 27 g,
- 40 g,
- 12 g,
- 1 g,
- 437 mg.
- Excellent source of