Tip: If you don’t have an offset spatula, spread the batter with the bottom of a pie lifter.
Brownie ice-cream sandwiches
- 84 g unsweetened chocolate , coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter , cubed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 L vanilla ice cream , in rectangular box
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Oil a rimmed baking sheet measuring about 11 × 17 in., then line with parchment paper. Place chocolate and butter in a large saucepan set over medium-low. Stir until chocolate is melted, about 3 min. Remove from heat. (Or place in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave on medium until chocolate is almost melted, about 2 min. Stir halfway through.)
- STIR sugar, salt and vanilla into warm chocolate mixture. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until blended. Stir in flour just until mixed. Scrape onto prepared sheet. Spread batter over parchment using an offset spatula to create a smooth, even, very thin layer.
- BAKE in centre of oven until brownie appears shiny and is firm but slightly undercooked, about 8 min. Remove from oven and cool in pan, about 30 min. Run a knife along edges of pan. Cut brownie in half, making two long rectangles. Place pan in the freezer for 5 min. Remove from freezer. Gently lift brownie and, using scissors, cut the parchment, separating the rectangles. Place 1 brownie top-side down on a cutting board. Peel off parchment. Open box of ice cream. Slice off 5 1-in. slices and arrange on top of brownie on board until it’s completely covered. Peel parchment from bottom of remaining brownie and place on top of ice cream. Pat down firmly. With a sharp knife, score top of brownie into 16 rectangular pieces. Freeze for at least 3 hours, until very firm. Remove from freezer and, using a serrated knife, cut into 16 sandwiches, using the scored lines as a guide. Individually wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap. Sandwiches will keep well in the freezer up to 1 month.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 29 g,
- 13 g,
- 1 g,
- 89 mg.