Photo by James Tse
This pretty pastry pie is packed with fresh raspberries and will be sure to impress guests.
1 1/4 cups
, at room temperature
2 to 3 tbsp
, preferably homogenized
2 170-g containers
- MAKE pastry by stirring flour and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter with sugar and yolk with an electric mixer on medium, in a large bowl. Beat in flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add 2 tbsp cream. Beat until dough begins to come together. If dough doesn’t quite come together, add 1 more tbsp cream. Form into a ball.
- POSITION oven rack so that tart will sit in centre of oven. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Place dough in centre of tart pan. Press pastry evenly over bottom and up sides of pan. Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate until chilled, about 15 min. Bake in centre of oven until pastry is golden, 18 to 23 min. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a rack.
- PREPARE pastry cream by bringing milk to a boil in a saucepan, about 8 in. wide. Place yolks in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in sugar until thick and pale yellow, 1 min. Whisk in cornstarch. Mixture will be thick and stiff.
- WHISK boiling milk gradually into egg mixture. Be careful to whisk quickly to avoid eggs scrambling. Return mixture to saucepan and place on medium-low. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 5 min. Then continue whisking until mixture is thick and no cornstarch flavour remains, 2 to 3 more min. Remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla. Pour into a bowl, then press a piece of plastic wrap over the surface. Refrigerate until pastry cream is chilled, about 1 hour.
- STIR 1 container raspberries into chilled pastry cream, mashing raspberries slightly. Evenly spread over cooled baked pastry. Filling will be shallow. Smooth, then garnish by tumbling remaining container of raspberries overtop. Pie crust is tender, so gently remove fluted side of pan, then run a pie lifter between pastry and bottom of tart pan. Slice pie in tart pan and serve.
Be sure to whisk constantly while cooking pastry-cream mixture or it may scramble.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 53 g,
- 23 g,
- 5 g,
- 125 mg.