Tart lemon adds tang to the sweet coconut in these irresistible squares.
Lemon-cranberry coconut squares
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2/3 cup cold unsalted butter , cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice , about 3 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 cups whole frozen or fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly butter a 9×13-inch (3-L) baking dish or coat with non-stick cooking spray. Place 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) flour and icing sugar in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Whirl until blended. Add butter. Pulse until crumbs form. Or in a medium-size bowl, stir flour with icing sugar. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs. Turn mixture into baking dish. Press evenly over bottom. Bake in centre of 350F (180C) oven until edges are golden-tinged, from 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325F (160C).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, using a fork, stir 3/4 cup (175 mL) flour with baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Whisk in sugar and lemon juice. Gradually whisk in flour mixture just until blended. Stir in coconut until evenly distributed. Then stir in whole cranberries. If using frozen cranberries, do not defrost.
- Pour mixture over hot baked crust, making sure cranberries are evenly distributed. Bake in centre of 325F (160C) oven until centre is set and edges are deep golden, from 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack. Then cut into 2-inch (5-cm) squares. Squares will keep well at room temperature for 1 day. Or cover tightly and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3.1 g,
- 36.6 g,
- 8.5 g,
- 1 g,