Polenta strawberry shortcake
1 h 15 min
Crunchy cornmeal, a hint of orange zest and a splash of liqueur combine to make this moist strawberry dessert the ultimate down-home treat.
- 3 cups strawberries , hulled and halved
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter , cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups 0.35 cream
- 1 tbsp orange liqueur
- mint , for garnish (optional)
- icing sugar , for garnish (optional)
- COMBINE strawberries and 2 tbsp sugar in a large bowl. Set aside.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Lightly spray an 8-in. round cake pan. Stir flour with cornmeal, 1/3 cup sugar, zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, work butter into flour mixture until crumbly. Make a well in centre and pour in buttermilk. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over-mix or shortcake will be tough.
- TRANSFER dough into prepared pan. Gently pat down. Flatten top and brush with 1 tbsp cream.
- BAKE in centre of oven until top is golden and a cake tester inserted into centre comes out clean, 28 to 30 min. Cool on a rack for 10 min. Remove from pan and cool.
- BEAT remaining cream with remaining sugar and orange liqueur in a large bowl until firm peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 3 min.
- ASSEMBLE by cutting biscuit in half horizontally. Set bottom of biscuit on a cake plate. Scatter half of strawberry mixture overtop. Spread two-thirds of whipped cream topping over berries. Scatter 1 cup berry mixture over cream, gently pressing in berries. Cover with biscuit top. Press down gently, then spread with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with remaining berries and mint. Sift icing sugar over shortcake.
How to shop for, store and cook with strawberries
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 58 g,
- 28 g,
- 3 g,
- 385 mg.