Spicy Dal ShakshukaBy Chatelaine
Two of our favourite dishes—dal and shakshuka—unite for a filling, vegetable-laden weeknight dinner.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Madras curry paste , such as Patak's
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils , rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro , (optional)
- 4 garlic naan , (optional)
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, and then onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, 3 to 4 min. Add curry paste, tomato paste, ginger and garlic. Cook,
stirring, for 30 sec.
- Add lentils, broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil, stirring often, until lentils are softened but still have a slight bite, 14 to 15 min.
- Add spinach and stir until wilted, about 1 min. Make 4 wells in mixture with a spoon, then crack 1 egg into each well. Scatter tomatoes around eggs. Cover and cook until egg whites are just set, 4 to 5 min. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with garlic naan.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 57 g,
- 11 g,
- 10 g,
- 630 mg.