Steakhouse Skewers With Potatoes, Peppers And ShallotsBy Chatelaine
This savoury marinade of garlic, rosemary and Dijon has a surprising ingredient: anchovies. Don’t skip them, as they add a deep umami flavour to these hearty steak skewers. These kebabs work well as part of a larger menu, but you can also make them for a more intimate meal with a side salad.—Eshun Mott
- 1/4 cup olive oil , divided
- 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 2 oil-packed anchovies , minced (about 2 tsp)
- 1 large garlic clove , grated
- 2 sirloin steaks , (about 310 g each), cut in 1.5-in. cubes
- 500 g mini red potatoes
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 red pepper , cut in 1-in. cubes
- 6 shallots , halved lengthwise
- Combine 3 tbsp oil, Dijon, rosemary, anchovies and garlic in a medium bowl. Add steak and toss coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 min or in the refrigerator for up to 3 hr.
- Place potatoes in a pot, cover with water and season well with salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 12 Drain and set aside.
- Preheat barbecue to high. If steak is marinating in the fridge, let it come to room temperature. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss potatoes, red pepper and shallots in remaining 1 tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper. Divide ingredients among 6 metal skewers (or use wooden skewers that have been soaked for 30 min), alternating between vegetables and steak.
- Grill skewers for 10 min, lid closed but opening to turn skewers frequently, or until steak is cooked to desired degree of doneness.