Pint-sized baked Alaskas
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Freezing Time: 30 minutes, Baking Time: 3 minutes
Talk about irresistible: When guests break through the warm meringue of our Alaskas, boozy berries spill out from an ice-cream centre.
1 1/2 cups
orange or almond
sponge cake dessert cups
, or 6 brownies, about 3 in square
container vanilla or strawberry
, about 2 cups
cream of tartar
- In a bowl, stir berries with liqueur. Evenly space cake rounds on a large parchment-lined baking sheet. If using brownies, press down in the centres to create a shallow depression. Fill each round with about ¼ cup (50 mL) berry mixture. Drizzle any remaining juice over berries. Place 1 scoop of ice cream, about 1/3 cup (75 mL), on top of each berry mound. Immediately place in freezer to firm ice cream. Leave at least 30 min or up to an hour. Check occasionally to ensure berries don’t freeze.
- About 10 min before serving, place an oven rack in the centre of the oven, with no racks above it (dessert is very high). Preheat oven to 450F (230C).
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, 2 to 3 min. With beaters running, gradually add sugar. Then continue beating until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted, 2 to 3 min.
- Remove baking sheet from freezer. Working quickly, generously dollop meringue over ice cream and berries. Don’t worry about it looking perfect. Using the back of a spoon, swirl to cover ice cream and berries, leaving the cake exposed. If using brownies, however, cover cake too. Then swirl meringue into peaks. Place in preheated oven and bake just until peaks of meringues are golden, about 3 min. Watch closely. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 54 g,
- 6 g,
- 1 g,