Thai steak salad
Photo, Erik Putz.
Sometimes you just want a break from romaine. This crunchy satisfying salad packs plenty of colour and international flavour (and no lettuce).
hot chili-garlic sauce
, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced into strips
, thinly sliced
, (whole leaves)
- SPRINKLE steak with salt. Season with fresh pepper.
- HEAT a large frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then steak. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 6 to 7 min per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil.
- WHISK lime juice with sugar, chili-garlic sauce and fish sauce in a large bowl until sugar dissolves.
- PEEL long ribbons from carrots and cucumbers, turning after every 3 peels, into same bowl. Add tomatoes, mangoes and shallot. Toss until coated.
- SLICE steak thinly against the grain. Divide among 4 plates. Top with salad, cilantro and mint. Kitchen note: Use a vegetable peeler to make long ribbons of carrots and cucumbers.
Chatelaine Quickies: Thai Steak Salad
Nutrition (per serving)
- 36 g,
- 39 g,
- 15 g,
- 7 g,
- 713 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A