Thai steak saladBy Chatelaine
Sometimes you just want a break from romaine. This crunchy satisfying salad packs plenty of colour and international flavour (and no lettuce).
- 600 g flank steak
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp hot chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 large carrots , peeled
- 3 mini cucumbers
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 mangoes , peeled, pitted and thinly sliced into strips
- 1 shallot , thinly sliced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup mint , (whole leaves)
- SPRINKLE steak with salt. Season with fresh pepper.
- HEAT a large frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then steak. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 6 to 7 min per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil.
- WHISK lime juice with sugar, chili-garlic sauce and fish sauce in a large bowl until sugar dissolves.
- PEEL long ribbons from carrots and cucumbers, turning after every 3 peels, into same bowl. Add tomatoes, mangoes and shallot. Toss until coated.
- SLICE steak thinly against the grain. Divide among 4 plates. Top with salad, cilantro and mint. Kitchen note: Use a vegetable peeler to make long ribbons of carrots and cucumbers.
Chatelaine Quickies: Thai Steak Salad
[bc_video video_id=”5042204702001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 36 g,
- 39 g,
- 15 g,
- 7 g,
- 713 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A