Updated Mar 26, 2019Chatelaine
- Bring 5 cups water and salt to a boil in a medium pot. Add pasta and cook until tender, 9 to 10 min. Reserve 3/4 cup pasta water (or 1 1/4 cups if not using wine). Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Toss cheeses with 2 tbsp flour in a medium bowl until cheese is coated. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large oven-safe frying pan over medium. Swirl until golden, 2 to 4 min. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp flour until slightly thickened. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add wine and reserved pasta water, stirring constantly, 2 min.
- Add cheese, a handful at a time, stirring constantly until cheese melts completely after each addition. Mixture should be thick and smooth. Stir in Dijon and pasta until coated.
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat broiler. Sprinkle bread crumbs and gherkins over pasta. Broil until top is golden, about 2 min.
Kitchen Tip: For a meat option, sprinkle 4 cooked and crisped chopped bacon strips overtop.