Sweet and sour pineapple chickenBy Chatelaine
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts , cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp Shoaxing cooking wine, sake or sherry
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch , divided
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper , cut into 1/2-in. bite-size pieces
- 3 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp water
- 3 cups peeled chunks of pineapple
- 2 green onions , cut into 1-in. pieces
- STIR chicken, cooking wine and salt in a bowl and let stand for 10 min. Add flour and 2 tbsp cornstarch and stir to coat.
- HEAT oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Stir-fry chicken in batches, being careful to avoid splattering oil, until golden brown, 2 to 3 min. Remove with slotted spoon and transfer to a plate.
- DISCARD all but 1 tbsp oil in pan and return to heat. Add red pepper and stir-fry until tender-crisp, 3 min.
- STIR remaining 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar and water in a small bowl. Add chicken, pineapple and cornstarch mixture to pan and stir-fry until chicken is coated, 1 to 2 min. Stir in green onions.
How to peel and core a whole pineapple
Nutrition (per serving)
- 27 g,
- 33 g,
- 9 g,
- 2 g,
- 687 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin C