Sweet and sour chicken stir fry with pineapple and peppers
Photo, Roberto Caruso.
We could eat this at least once a week. The fluffy white rice, saucy bites of chicken and sweet pineapple with lightly sautéed vegetables are dinnertime perfection.
, cut in 1-in. cubes (about 450 g)
, halved and seeded (or 2 bell bell peppers, cut in strips)
1 1/2 tbsp
- Sauce: Whisk broth with ketchup, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and 2 tsp corn- starch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Toss chicken with remaining 1 tsp cornstarch, salt and pepper in a bowl until well coated.
- Heat an extra-large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 1 tsp oil, then chicken. Stir-fry until golden brown and almost no pink remains, about 5 min. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil to pan, then onion. Cook until onion starts to soften, about 2 min. Add peppers and pineapple, and cook until they start to soften, about 3 min.
- Return chicken and any juices to pan. Add ketchup mixture to pan and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce is thickened, about 2 min. Serve with jasmine rice.
Switch It Up: Instead of chicken, use 450 g large frozen raw shrimp, thawed and peeled. Shrimp may take 1 min less to cook. Switch up peppers with 2 zucchini, cut into half-moons, or 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and halved.
Kitchen tip: Use a small measuring spoon to scrape seeds from mini peppers.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 30 g,
- 4 g,
- 3 g,
- 815 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin C