Excerpted from Fraiche Food, Full Hearts: A Collection of Recipes for Every Day and Casual Celebrations by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Copyright © 2019 by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Photography copyright © 2019 by Janis Nicolay. Published by Penguin Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Spring OrecchietteBy Chatelaine
Nothing says spring like asparagus! This pasta is a breeze to throw together for last-minute company.
- 300 g orecchiette
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups trimmed asparagus , cut into 2-in. lengths
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp packed grated fresh lemon zest
- 3 cups lightly packed baby arugula
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parm , plus more for serving
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup spreadable cashew cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Make the Vegan Parm. In a mini food processor, pulse all ingredients until finely ground, 20 to 40 sec. Store in a resealable container at room temperature for up to 3 months.
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 min. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and just starting to turn golden, 3 to 4 min. Add the white wine and cook until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 2 min. Stir in the peas, parsley, vegetable stock and lemon zest, and cook until the peas are bright green and tender, about 4 min. Add the cooked pasta, arugula and Vegan Parm, and toss together until the arugula is just wilted. Season with salt and pepper, and add the cashew cheese in small pieces.
- Divide the pasta among pasta dishes and top with extra Vegan Parm, if desired. Serve immediately.