Kung Pao chicken stir-fryBy Chatelaine
This delicious soy-sherry sauce works just as well with pork or firm tofu. As with all stir-fries, have all ingredients prepped and measured before starting to cook.
- 2 tbsp soy sauce , divided
- 2 tbsp dry sherry , divided
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp dark sesame oil
- 2 skinless, bonless chicken breasts , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp granulated sugar or honey
- 1 tbsp hot chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cashews or peanuts , preferably untoasted and unsalted
- STIR 1 tbsp each soy and sherry with ginger and sesame oil in a medium bowl. Stir in chicken until well coated. Stir in cornstarch. Combine remaining 1 tbsp each soy and sherry with sugar and chili-garlic sauce in a small bowl.
- HEAT a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then marinated chicken. Stir-fry chicken until almost no pink remains, 3 to 5 min. Add bell pepper and cook until it starts to soften, about 2 min. Stir soy-sherry mixture and pour over chicken and pepper. Add onions and cashews. Stir until nuts are heated through, 1 to 2 min. Remove from heat. Serve chicken stir fry with steamed rice if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 21 g,
- 10 g,
- 16 g,
- 2 g,
- 512 mg.