Puy lentils with roasted carrots and harissa
This article has not been rated yet.
Photo, Erik Putz.
Small green “Puy” or “French” lentils look and taste lovely as a base for roasted vegetables, and they’re packed with protein and fibre as well. Look for them in bulk food shops.
1 1/2 cups
, finely chopped
, seeded and sliced
, with stems (about 2 bunches), scrubbed well
- PREHEAT broiler. Place pepper on a baking sheet. Broil in centre of oven, flipping halfway through, until charred, about 20 min. Let cool, 10 min. Peel off skin and discard seeds, then coarsely chop. Preheat oven to 400F.
- HEAT 1 tbsp oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add onion, garlic and chili. Cook, stirring often, until golden, 5 to 7 min. Stir in red pepper along with cumin and coriander and continue cooking, 1 more min. Transfer to a food processor and whirl with remaining 2 tbsp oil and lemon juice until smooth.
- TRIM carrots, reserving 1/4 cup chopped carrot leaves. Toss with 1 tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp salt on same baking sheet. Season with fresh pepper. Roast in centre of oven, flipping halfway through, until golden and tender, about 25 min.
- BOIL a large pot of water. Add lentils. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil until tender, 20 to 25 min. Drain well, then return to same pot. Gently stir in 1 tbsp olive oil until lentils are coated.
- SPOON lentils onto a platter. Top with roasted carrots, then drizzle with harissa and yogurt. Sprinkle with reserved carrot leaves.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 21 g,
- 56 g,
- 19 g,
- 13 g,
- 858 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A