Pinto Bean TaquitosBy Chatelaine
For a satisfying, spicy crunch, try these pinto bean taquitos with some plant-based sour cream, hot sauce and chopped cilantro on top.
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp canola oil , divided
- 1 red onion , diced
- 1 medium red pepper , diced
- 1 small jalapeño , seeds removed, minced
- 5 garlic cloves , minced, divided
- 1 540-mL can pinto beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning , such as Club House
- 1 lime , zested and juiced, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 avocados , diced
- 12 8-in. corn tortillas
- Plant-based sour cream , (optional)
- Hot sauce , (optional)
- Chopped cilantro , (optional)
- Heat a large frying pan over medium. Add 1 tbsp oil, then onion. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 min. Add red pepper, jalapeno and 4 minced garlic cloves. Cook, stirring often, for 2 min.
- Add beans and seasoning. Cook, stirring, for 3 min. Stir in half of the lime zest and juice, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Mash beans lightly with a fork. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Combine avocados with remaining minced garlic, lime zest and juice, and 1/4 tsp salt. Set aside.
- Scoop 1/4 cup bean filling onto centre of each tortilla. Evenly spread into a line. Roll up, then secure with toothpicks.
- Wipe pan clean, then return to stovetop over medium-high. Add remaining 1/4 cup oil. When oil is hot, add taquitos, seam-side down. (You may need to do this in batches.) Fry until golden-brown and crispy, 1 to 2 min per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining taquitos.
- Top warm taquitos with guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce and cilantro.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 89 g,
- 36 g,
- 17 g,
- 910 mg.