Olive and pork empanadas
This article has not been rated yet.
Photo, Roberto Caruso
Ditch the sugar right now! We're all about the savoury treats.
1 1/2 tsp
hot pepper flakes
, (2 discs)
- HEAT a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then onion, garlic and pork. Cook until onion starts to soften and pork loses its pink colour, about 6 min. Stir in flour and cook for 1 min. Add paprika, pepper flakes and tomato paste and cook for 3 min, stirring occasionally. Stir in olives. Season with fresh pepper. Remove from heat.
- PREHEAT oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- ROLL 1 disc empanada dough until 1/16-in. thick. Use a 5-in. cutter to cut out circles. Repeat with remaining disc. Gather and re-roll scraps.
- PLACE 1 heaping tbsp of filling on each round. Brush edges with beaten egg and fold dough over the filling, forming a half-circle. Press to seal. Crimp edges. Arrange empanadas on their sides on prepared baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg.
- BAKE until golden brown, 30 to 35 min. Serve pork empanadas warm or cool, or freeze for up to 2 weeks. Reheat in a 350F oven for 15 min.
Nutrition (per piece)
- 8 g,
- 12 g,
- 12 g,
- 1 g,
- 121 mg.