Nordic meatballs with beet and kale saladBy Chatelaine
- 3 slices light rye bread , cut into 1/4-in. cubes
- 1/4 cup milk
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley , divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp canola oil , divided
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 8 cups finely sliced kale
- 1 small beet , peeled and grated
- COMBINE one-third of bread cubes with milk in a small bowl. Let stand until bread is soft, 5 min.
- COMBINE ground beef with 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, egg yolk, salt and milk-soaked bread cubes in a large bowl. Mix with your hands until combined. Divide mixture and roll into 16 balls.
- HEAT an extra-large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add 2 tsp canola oil, then remaining dry bread cubes. Cook, stirring often, until toasted, 4 to 5 min. Transfer to a plate. Add 1 tsp canola oil to pan, then meatballs. Cook, turning often, until brown on all sides, about 5 min. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, covered, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through, 7 to 10 min. Let stand, 5 min.
- WHISK remaining 2 tbsp each canola oil with cider vinegar and Dijon in a large bowl. Add kale and grated beet. Toss to coat. Divide salad and croutons among 4 plates. Top with meatballs. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp chopped parsley.
Chatelaine Quickies: Cranberry-glazed meatballs
Nutrition (per serving)
- 36 g,
- 48 g,
- 29 g,
- 8 g,
- 879 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin C