Kitchen Tip: Ask your fishmonger to steam the lobster on purchase. To remove the meat, lightly knock the backs of shells with a mallet, then use kitchen shears to cut through the shells.
Lobster chowderBy Chatelaine
- 2 (700 g each) lobsters , in the shell, cooked, meat removed
- 340 g medium fresh or thawed frozen shrimp , unpeeled
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped, dried chorizo sausage
- 1 medium leek , chopped, white and green parts only
- 2 celery stalks , chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 236-mL bottles clam juice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels , thawed
- 225 g cod , cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill , plus more for garnish
- CUT lobster meat into 1-in. chunks. Refrigerate, reserving shells and any juices.
- PEEL shrimp, reserving shells. Halve shrimp, then refrigerate.
- CRUSH lobster shells with a rolling pin to condense slightly, then combine with shrimp shells, juices and water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15 min. Remove from heat. Strain broth through a fine sieve set over a bowl. Discard shells. Set broth aside (it should measure about 3 1/2 cups).
- HEAT oil in a large pot over medium. Add chorizo and cook until starting to brown, 2 min. Add leek, celery, salt and pepper and cook for 5 min. Add wine, then bring to a boil and cook for 2 min. Add reserved broth and clam juice.
- ADD shrimp, corn and cod. Cook just until cod is opaque, 2 min. Stir in lobster, cream and dill, then serve immediately, garnished with more dill.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 7 g,
- 12 g,
- 1 g,
- 716 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B12