Kitchen Tip: We found PC Blue Menu Extra Lean Stone Roasted Ham worked well during testing.
Grilled cheese croque madameBy Chatelaine
The mighty egg pulls double duty, serving as a great start to your morning or a hearty and healthy evening meal.
- 8 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 3/4 cups grated gruyère cheese , divided
- 4 slices sodium-reduced ham
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- TOP each of 4 slices of bread with 2 tbsp cheese, a slice of ham, 2 more tbsp cheese, then another slice of bread. Spread mayo on the outsides of each sandwich.
- PREHEAT broiler.
- BÉCHAMEL: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture turns into a paste, about 2 min. Do not let it brown. Gradually whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium and cook until sauce thickens, 4 to 5 more min. Stir in salt and remaining 3/4 cup of the cheese. When cheese is melted, set aside.
- HEAT a large cast iron frying pan over medium. Cook sandwiches until browned, 2 to 3 min per side, and top with béchamel. You may have to do this in 2 batches. Broil until tops are golden brown, 1 to 2 min.
- SPRAY a frying pan with cooking spray and set over medium. Crack eggs into pan. Cook until whites are just set, 3 to 4 min. Top each sandwich with a fried egg. Serve with a green salad.
Chatelaine Quickies: Crustless mini quiches
Nutrition (per serving)
- 35 g,
- 52 g,
- 37 g,
- 2 g,
- 1111 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A