Filipino Garlic Fried Rice (Sinangag)By Chatelaine
This dish is ubiquitous! No kamayan, a communal-style Filipino buffet, is complete without this tasty side.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- 3 tbsp minced garlic , (about 1 head)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 green onion , thinly sliced (optional)
1. Cook rice following package directions. Scrape onto a baking sheet to cool quickly. Refrigerate at least 30 min before frying, or use about 7 cups day-old rice.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add oil and sliced garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is lightly golden, about 2 min. Remove garlic chips to a paper-towel-lined plate, leaving oil in pan. Season with 1⁄8 tsp salt and set aside.
3. In same pan, cook minced garlic, stirring constantly until fragrant and starting to brown, about 1 min. Add rice and water. Break up any clumps of rice, stirring mixture to distribute garlic evenly. Season with remaining salt. Cook until rice has been heated through, about 3 min. Garnish with garlic chips and green onions.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 77 g,
- 11 g,
- 1 g,
- 578 mg.