Crispy tofu stir fry with peanut sauceBy Chatelaine
Stir fry recipes are a weeknight saviour. Fast, saucy and delicious, all you need are some vegetables, a basic sauce and a protein of your choice. This recipe is customizable to your mood — it works just as well if you swap in chicken.
- 1 350-g pkg extra-firm tofu , cut in 1⁄4-in.-thick triangles
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp canola oil , divided
- 1 113-g pkg shiitake mushrooms , stemmed and halved
- 4 cups green beans , trimmed and halved
- 2 100-g pkgs ramen noodles
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup roasted salted peanuts , roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 5 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 tsp honey
- 2 tsp chili sauce , such as sambal oelek
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Sauce: Whisk peanut butter with lime juice, soy sauce, honey, chili paste and 2/3 cup hot water in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Pat tofu dry with a kitchen towel. Toss with cornstarch, salt and pepper until well coated. Heat an extra-large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 1 tsp canola oil, then half of the tofu. Cook, flipping halfway through, until golden brown, 4 to 5 min. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 1 tsp canola oil and remaining tofu. Transfer to same plate.
- Add remaining 1 tsp canola oil, then mushrooms. Stir-fry until mushrooms start to brown, about 2 min. Add beans and cook until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 min. Remove from heat. Toss with tofu and peanut butter mixture until well coated.
- Cook noodles in pot of boiling water, following package directions but omitting seasoning mix, until tender, 2 to 3 min. Drain and return to pot, then toss with sesame oil.
- Divide noodles among 4 bowls and top with tofu stir-fry, green onions and peanuts. Serve immediately.
Switch It Up: Instead of tofu, use 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Try it with 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks, and 2 zucchini, sliced into half-moons.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 29 g,
- 57 g,
- 38 g,
- 9 g,
- 634 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A