lean ground beef
lean ground pork
egg, lightly beaten
finely grated parmesan
finely chopped parsley
garlic clove, minced
olive oil, divided
- MEATBALLS: Combine beef, pork, egg, onion, parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix with hands until evenly combined.
- SCOOP mixture by heaping tablespoonful and form into balls. Place on a baking sheet. Rinse hands as needed to make it easier to form balls.
- HEAT 2 tbsp oil in a large pot over medium-high. Add half the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides, about 4 min. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil and repeat with remaining meatballs.
- SAUCE: Reduce heat in same pot to medium-low. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, 2 to 3 min. Stir in tomato paste and cook 2 min. Crush tomatoes with fingers and add to pot, then add sugar, salt and hot-pepper flakes, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 15 min. Stir in parmesan.
- RETURN meatballs and any juices to pot and stir gently into sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook over low until meatballs are cooked through, 15 min, stirring a few times, being careful to avoid breaking up meatballs.
- BOIL spaghetti in a large pot of salted water, following package directions. Drain, then divide pasta among plates and top with meatballs and sauce. Top with more parmesan.
Kitchen Tip: Regular canned plum tomatoes will work in this sauce, but use San Marzano for the best flavour. It’s worth it!
Chatelaine Quickies: Easy veggie soup