Charred broccoli with curry dressingBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
The best way to prepare a quick weeknight dish of veggies is to char them in a hot cast iron pan. Drizzle with a garam-masala-and-ginger-laced vinaigrette, garnish with sesame seeds, flaxseeds, fried shallots and thinly sliced Thai chilies, and even broccoli haters will be clamouring for seconds.
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp canola oil , divided
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 head broccoli
- sesame seeds , to garnish (optional)
- flax seeds , to garnish (optional)
- fried shallots , to garnish (optional)
- COOK garlic in 2 tbsp canola oil in a small saucepan over medium until soft. Stir in mustard seed and ginger, garam masala, hot pepper flakes and salt. Cook 1 min. Transfer to small bowl. Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup canola oil and 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar.
- SEPARATE a head of broccoli into florets. Cut broccoli stem into 1/4-in thick slices. Heat a dry cast iron pan over high until hot. Add broccoli and cook, untouched, 2 min. Flip and cook 2 min. Transfer to a plate. Drizzle with dressing. Garnish with sesame seeds, flax seeds, fried shallots and thinly sliced Thai chiles, if desired.