Kitchen Tip: Using a ricer will produce fluffy mashed potatoes. Press potatoes with onion and garlic, in batches, through a ricer into same pot over medium-low. Continue with recipe.
Best Irish mashed potatoesBy Chatelaine
10 to 12
These mashed potatoes are versatile: you can add a bit of green or leave the kale on the side. They're tasty however you serve them.
- 1.5 kg russet or Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled and cubed (3 large russets)
- 1 large onion , peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 garlic cloves , smashed
- 3/4 cup 35% cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter , plus 2 tbsp for garnish (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions , white and green parts separated
- 2 cups packed chopped kale , stems removed (optional)
- BRING a large pot of salted water to a boil with potatoes, onion and garlic. Boil until very tender, 15 min. Drain, then return potatoes, onion and garlic to pot over medium-high and shake pot to dry, about 20 sec.
- HEAT cream, milk, 1/2 cup butter and salt in a small saucepan over medium, until hot. Stir in kale and white parts of green onion and let stand 5 min. Mash potato mixture with a masher. Stir in cream mixture, then green onions.
- TO serve, transfer to a dish. Make a shallow hole in centre and add remaining 2 tbsp butter.
How to make the best mashed potatoes
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 23 g,
- 15 g,
- 2 g,
- 753 mg.