Updated Aug 31, 2016Chatelaine
lean ground beef
green onions, chopped (white and green parts kept separate)
garlic cloves, minced
- HEAT a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add beef and cook until it loses its pink colour, about 3 min. Add white parts of onion and garlic and cook for 1 min. Stir in chili powder, oregano and salt. Season with fresh pepper. Stir in water and tomato paste. Simmer until saucy, about 3 min. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining green onions and cilantro.
- PREHEAT oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- ROLL 1 disc empanada dough until 1/16-in. thick. Use a 5-in. cutter to cut out circles. Repeat with remaining disc. Gather and re-roll scraps.
- PLACE 1 heaping tbsp of filling on each round. Divide cheese among rounds. Brush edges with egg and fold dough over the filling, forming a half-circle. Press to seal. Crimp edges. Arrange empanadas on their sides on prepared baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg.
- BAKE until golden brown, 30 to 35 min. Serve warm or cool, or freeze for up to 2 weeks. Reheat in a 350F oven for 15 min.
NutritionCalories 180, Protein 8 g, Carbohydrates 14 g, Fat 11 g, Fibre 1 g, Sodium 121 mg.
The easiest way to roast garlic