Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
1 1/4 cups
cold unsalted butter, cubed
- WHIRL flour with granulated sugar and 1/4 tsp salt in a food processor. Add butter. Pulse until crumbs form. With motor running, add ice water and lemon juice through spout. Continue whirling just until dough comes together. It should not be sticky.
- POSITION rack in bottom of oven. Preheat to 375F. Lay a large piece of parchment on counter. Sprinkle lightly with flour. Pat pastry dough into a ball. Dust rolling pin with flour. Roll pastry on parchment into a circle, about 12 in. wide. Pastry will be very thin and edges will be uneven. Transfer parchment and pastry to baking sheet.
- COMBINE brown sugar and cornstarch and 1/8 tsp salt in a large bowl. Stir in berries until coated. Tumble fruit mixed onto centre of pastry, forming a 10-in. circle. Fold pastry over, just to cover edge of fruit. Centre of pie should not be covered with pastry, and edge will be uneven. Lightly brush pastry with water, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- BAKE until pastry is golden and mixture is bubbly, 35 to 40 min. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, or cool and dust with icing sugar.
1. Make pastry, wrap in plastic and store in the fridge up to three days. Let sit at room temperature about 20 min before rolling.
2. You can use any mix of soft fruit like berries, peaches, plums and apricots.