Peanut butter cookie ice cream sandwichesBy Chatelaine
What's better than a peanut butter cookie recipe? A ice cream sandwich recipe with homemade peanut butter cookies.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar , for coating
Fillings and coating
- 1.65 L ice cream
- 300 g chocolate , melted
- 1 1/2 cups nuts, pretzels or sprinkles
- STIR flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- BEAT butter and peanut butter in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, until creamy, 1 min. Beat in sugars until smooth, 2 min. Beat in egg, then yolk and vanilla.
- GRADUALLY stir in flour mixture until just combined. Divide dough into 2 portions. Wrap in plastic wrap and press into disks. Freeze until firm enough to handle, 1 hr.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Place 1/3 cup sugar in a bowl. Scoop2 tbsp of dough and roll into a ball. Swirl it in sugar to coat. Repeat with remaining dough and place on sheets 2 in. apart.
- BAKE until golden around the edges, 12 to 14 min. Cool on sheet for 5 min, then transfer to a rack to cool.
- SANDWICH ½ cup ice cream between 2 cookies, pressing together. Freeze until firm, 90 min. Dip sandwiches halfway into melted chocolate, then into toppings. Freeze finished peanut butter cookies until chocolate is firm, 15 min.