Mascarpone Ice Cream Scone-WichBy Chatelaine
8 hrs 5 min
Level up your ice cream sandwich with afternoon-tea-ready ingredients: creamy mascarpone, sliced strawberries, and, to top it all off, scones.
- 1 1/2 cups smooth mascarpone
- 1 cup 3.25% milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , (180 g)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 1 tbsp coarse sugar , (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Ice cream: Whisk mascarpone with milk and 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a medium saucepan. Set over medium-high. Cook, whisking often, until it comes to a simmer, 3 to 5 min. Reduce heat to low.
- Whisk egg yolks with remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium bowl. Wrap a damp kitchen towel around the base of the bowl to prevent it from slipping. Gradually whisk in half of hot milk mixture. Then return entire mixture to saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, 8 to 10 min. Mixture should not come to a simmer. (Adjust heat if needed.) Stir in vanilla. Pour through a fine sieve into a metal bowl. Chill in freezer until cold, about 1 hr.
- Scrape cold mixture into a pre-frozen ice cream maker bowl and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions, 30 to 45 min. Transfer to an airtight container. Seal and freeze until firm, about 6 hrs.
- Scones: Meanwhile, whisk flour, 2 tbsp granulated sugar, baking powder and 1/8 tsp salt in a large bowl. Coarsely grate in butter, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream to flour mixture and stir until dough starts to just comes together. (It will still be crumbly.) Remove to a lightly floured counter. Gather together until it forms a ball. Lightly roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Using a 2 1/2-in. cookie cutter, cut into 8 circles and arrange on a baking sheet. (Re-roll final scones from scraps.) Sprinkle tops with coarse sugar. Refrigerate dough for 15 min.
- Meanwhile, position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 425F. Stir strawberries and 1 tbsp granulated sugar in a medium bowl.
- Bake scones until tops are golden-brown, 12 to 14 min. Transfer scones to a rack to cool completely, 30 min.
- To assemble, split scones. Let ice cream soften slightly at room temperature, about 5 min. Scoop ice cream onto scone bottoms and flatten slightly. Top with strawberries. Sandwich with scone tops. Serve immediately.
For a no-churn version, beat 1/2 cup 35% cream in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until stiff peaks form, 1 to 2 min. Reduce speed to low and beat in 1 cup mascarpone, ½ cup sweetened condensed milk, ¼ tsp vanilla and 1/8 tsp salt until combined. Scrape into an airtight container. Smooth top. Seal and freeze until semi-firm, about 6 hrs.