Hot chocolate, 6 ways
This article has not been rated yet.
Whether you want to keep it classic or add a little kick, here are six ways you should be making your hot chocolate this winter.
- THE BASE: Simmer 1 L milk in a medium saucepan set over medium-high, then reduce heat to medium-low. Whisk in ½ cup chopped dark and 1⁄3 cup chopped white chocolate. Simmer, whisking often, until chocolate melts, 1 to 2 min. Serve with marshmallows or whipped cream.
How to melt chocolate using a double boiler
- Chocola-ccino: Add 1 tsp espresso powder. Top with frothed milk.
- Magic Mint: Add 2 tbsp crème de menthe or 1/4 tsp peppermint extract.
- Mexican Spice: Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp each nutmeg and cayenne. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Malted Milk: Add 1/2 cup malted milk powder, such as Ovaltine. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with chopped malt-chocolate balls.
- Affogato: Pour hot chocolate over a scoop of vanilla or coffee ice cream.