* PLUS 2 hours cooling time
Photo, Erik Putz.
Store-bought treats have nothing on these homemade lemon squares, which pair a sweet-crispy base with a jiggly, sugar-dusted citrus custard.
1 1/2 cups
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp
2 1/4 cups
- PREHAT oven to 350F, then butter the bottom and sides of a 9 × 13-in. glass baking dish.
- CRUST: Whirl flour, icing sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press evenly over bottom of prepared dish. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 22 min. Remove from oven and set on a heatproof surface. Reduce heat to 300F.
- FILLING: Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk sugar, lemon juice and flour in a large bowl until combined, then stir in eggs. Let stand for 10 min. Discard foamy bubbles on top of mixture. Pour through a sieve onto hot crust. Bake until filling is slightly jiggly, 25 to 35 min.
- COOL completely on a rack, about 1 hr. Refrigerate at least 1 hr to set filling. 5. Cut into squares, dust half with icing sugar and top remaining half with thin lemon slices.
Cooking class: Lemon loaf
Nutrition (per square)
- 3 g,
- 30 g,
- 6 g,
- 67 mg.
Make-Ahead Tip: Squares will keep well in the baking dish, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days, or covered with foil and frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost in refrigerator and cut just before serving.