1 3/4 cups
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Oil a 9 × 5-in. loaf pan.
- STIR flour with sugar, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- BEAT butter with milk, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until smooth. Fold in flour mixture until just combined. Don’t over-mix. Pour into loaf pan.
- BAKE in centre of oven until a cake tester inserted into centre of loaf comes out clean, 55 to 65 min. (Don’t worry if top of loaf cracks.) Transfer pan to a rack. Let stand 10 min. Turn out onto rack.
- WHISK icing sugar with lemon juice in a small bowl. Brush glaze over warm loaf. Let stand until loaf is cool, about 2 hours. Store at room temperature, or freeze up to a month.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 54 g,
- 20 g,
- 1 g,
- 211 mg.
A lesson on butter
Because melted butter has already released much of its water content, it makes the finished treats soft and dense, as well as flavourful. Use it in: loaves and brownies.