Updated Aug 12, 2015Chatelaine
egg whites, at room temperature
fine sea salt
superfine granulated sugar
- POSITION an oven rack in centre of oven. Preheat to 200F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- BEAT egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, until the mixture forms soft peaks, about 1 minute. With the machine running on medium-high speed, gradually add baker’s sugar, about 1 tbsp at a time. Increase speed to high and beat until mixture is thick and forms stiff peaks, about 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in 1/4 tsp vanilla. Place meringue in a piping bag fitted with a plain 1/2-in. tip. Pipe meringue into 2 8-in. circles on prepared baking sheet. Bake 2 hours or until crisp. Turn off oven and allow meringues to cool completely while still in oven, about 2 hours.
- BEAT cream using an electric hand mixer on high speed until thick. Add icing sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Continue to beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add 1 1/2 cups raspberries and beat until incorporated into cream. Spread one-third of cream over each meringue circle. Place 1 circle on top of the other to create 2 layers. Spread the remaining cream on the sides of the cake. Freeze cake 3 hours or until firm.
- MIX 1 1/2 cups raspberries with vinegar and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Using a fork, lightly mash the raspberries. Bring mixture to a boil over medium. Reduce heat and simmer until thick, 25 to 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve and cool.
- TO SERVE, let cake sit at room temperature then cut into wedges and place on serving plates. Drizzle with syrup.