Financier plum cakeBy Chatelaine
At this time of year, let the local ingredients shine. Here's a simple way to make the most of those plums you picked up at the farmer's market.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 medium plums , thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1/4 cups ground almonds
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 egg whites , lightly beaten
- POSITION rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 400F. Line the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan with parchment. Spray with butter, then sprinkle with brown sugar. Lay plum slices, overlapping in a circle, over sugar.
- STIR icing sugar with almonds, flour and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in egg whites until combined. Gradually stir in remaining 3/4 cup butter. Scrape batter over plums, smoothing top.
- BAKE until cake is golden and a cake tester inserted into centre of cake comes out clean, about 40 min. Remove cake and let stand for 10 min. Run a knife around inside edge, then release cake from pan. Place a large cooling rack upside down on top of cake. Carefully flip over. Peel off parchment. Cool on rack, about 1 hour.
Baking School: How to separate eggs
[brightcove id=’4837712425001′ width=’640′ height=’360′]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 39 g,
- 25 g,
- 3 g,
- 115 mg.